Aloha Ke Akua means God is Love
Love, affection, compassion, mercy, sympathy, pity, kindness, sentiment, grace, and charity.
Greeting, salutation, regards, sweetheart, lover, and a loved one.
Aloha is being...
Beloved, loving, kind, compassionate, charitable, and lovable.
Pu’uhonua O Hawai’i Marae
The Peaceful Sanctuary of Hawaii
Inspired by the Polynesian marae / malae and Israel’s Kibbutzim, Pu’uhonua O Hawai’i Marae is designed to address the housing crisis faced by low income families in Hawai’i.
Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed
Teachers, health care providers, service industry, agricultural workers
Do not earn enough to support their families
Forced to decide between quality child care, paying the rent, or buying food
- 50% of Hawaii County households were below the ALICE threshold. 45% of Hawaii Overall
- KITV Island News, May 28, 2019: “A recent economic study found 57% of Native Hawaiian do not earn enough to survive in Hawaii.”
- Median Price of a home in Hawai`i Aug. 2022: $920,000 (Hawaii Statewide Real Estate Report).
- Normal 20% bank down payment $184,000
- Causing hopelessness, despair and stress resulting in high rates of:
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Family abuse
- No time or energy for the children